The articles in Unit 1 can be used to address the following standards:
Next Generation Science Standards
- 3-LS4-3 Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity
- Construct an argument with evidence that in a particular habitat some organisms can survive well, some survive less well, and some cannot survive at all.
- 3-LS4-4 Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity
- Make a claim about the merit of a solution to a problem caused when the environment changes and the types of plants and animals that live there may change.
Common Core State Standards: English Language Arts
- Key Ideas and Details
Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
Determine the main idea of a text; recount the key details and explain how they support the main idea.
- Craft and Structure
Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 3 topic or subject area.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
Use information gained from illustrations (e.g., maps, photographs) and the words in a text to demonstrate understanding of the text (e.g., where, when, why, and how key events occur).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
By the end of the year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, at the high end of the grades 2-3 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
- Research to Build and Present Knowledge
Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
Common Core State Standards: Mathematics
- Represent and interpret data
Draw a scaled picture graph and a scaled bar graph to represent a data set with several categories.