Mongabay is an environmental science and conservation news and information site. Much of Mongabay has operated under a non-profit — Mongabay.org — since 2012.
Founded in 1999 by Rhett A. Butler out of his passion for nature and wildlife, today Mongabay is staffed by a group of committed individuals, supported by a wide range of contributors in more than a dozen countries.
- Rhett A. Butler – founder, president, and writer/editor
- Tiffany Roufs – operations manager
- Morgan Erickson-Davis – writer/editor
- Rebecca Kessler – writer/editor
- Glenn Scherer– writer/editor
- Philip Jacobson– writer/editor – Indonesia
- Ruxandra Guidi – writer / editor – Latin America
- Shreya Dasgupta – writer
- Mike Gaworecki – writer
- Brittany Stewart– administrative assistant
- María Ángeles Salazar– translation coordinator
- Ridzki Sigit – Director
- Nur Rochmani Fajar – Editor
- Sapariah Saturi Harsono – Senior Editor
- Akhyari Hananto – Outreach coordinator
- Rahmadi Rahmadi – Editor
- Husen Mony – Data analyst
Contributors and interns
See Mongabay.org for staff bios.
The Mongabay board
- Dr. Brodie Ferguson (Chairman) is an anthropologist working with indigenous communities in Latin America.
- Alyson Blume (Secretary) is a social media expert at Trinity Ventures.
- Dr. Christopher Herndon (Treasurer) is a physician focusing on reproductive health and ethnobotanist.
- Rhett A. Butler is the founder of Mongabay.com and Mongabay.org.
- Camille Nava is a former organic food entrepreneur who is involved with various sustainability issues
- Dr. Marion O’Leary is a recognized authority on the use of isotopes for studies in chemistry and biology.
- Mark Cappellano is a conservationist and entrepreneur based in Los Angeles.
- Penn A. Butler is an attorney specializing in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and corporate restructuring
- Peter Riggs was the founder and director of the Forum on Democracy & Trade before joining the Ford Foundation as a program officer. He is now an advisor at CLUA
- Susan Sanchez is Director of the Corporate Green Chemistry Program at The Walt Disney Company.
- Tim Kelly is the former president of the National Geographic Society and current CEO of Steam Engine.
- Triona Gogarty is a speech-language pathologist and elementary school teacher.
- Dr. Peter Raven is a botanist who was formerly the director of the Missouri Botanical Garden.
- Dr. William F. Laurance is a rainforest ecologist now based at James Cook University in Cairns, Australia
- Dr. Jane Goodall is a primatologist and conservationist.
Please see Mongabay.org for more information about the organization itself, including annual reports and financial filings, like the 990 and IRS Determination Letter.
- Press Coverage
- Founder Rhett Butler