Mongabay is regularly covered in the media.
- Zoe magazine (Italy), September 2005 coverage.
- CNN, September 2005. Mongabay used as a reference for in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
- The San Francisco Chronicle, July 2006 profile of the site.
- TreeHugger.com, August 2006 interview.
- The Wall Street Journal Online, September 2006 mention.
- BMI voyager magazine, June 2007 mention.
- Inc Magazine, August 2007 mention.
- Google Blog, October 2007 profile.
- OpenRoad.TV, November 2007 video interview.
- The Wall Street Journal Online, January 2008 mention.
- Chicago Public Radio, January 2008 radio interview on “The Dark Side of Biofuels”.
- Time.com, In April 2008, Time.com selected mongabay.com among its 15 top climate and environment web sites.
- Voice of America, In November 2008, VOA did a radio segment on mongabay.com.
- Change.org, In January 2010, Change.org did a post about mongabay.com.
Mongabay regularly advises media organizations on conservation and forest issues. Over the years, Mongabay has provided insight and information to scores of local, regional, national, and international outlets ranging from The New York Times to Bloomberg to the Sydney Morning Herald.
A newly discovered beetle species, Cactopinus rhettbutleri, was named after mongabay.com’s founder / April 17, 2015
Things you want to know about Mongabay / January 1, 2015
Mongabay’s most popular news articles of 2014 / December 31, 2014
Young journalists win prizes for environmental reporting / December 30, 2014
2014: the year in rainforests / December 30, 2014
Jane Goodall joins mongabay / October 13, 2014
Mongabay founder, Rhett Butler, wins Field Museum’s top conservation prize / September 03, 2014
Deforestation tracking system recognized with global innovation award / March 19, 2014
Mongabay’s most popular news articles of 2013 / January 1, 2014
2013: The year in rainforests / December 26, 2013
Journalism prizes explore community forestry, commodity supply chains, China’s seafood consumption / December 1, 2013
New $20,000 reporting grant: The state of marine fisheries in Indonesia / September 17, 2013
$20,000 grant for reporting on the next big idea for forest conservation / August 5, 2013
Mongabay’s most popular news articles of 2012 / January 1, 2013
The year in rainforests / December 31, 2012
Okapi Conservation Project wins mongabay’s 2012 conservation award / December 6, 2012
Global deforestation alert tool developed from NASA satellite imagery launches / May 30, 2012
Forest and environmental news in Indonesian / May 23, 2012
The year in review for rainforests / December 28, 2011
Effort to save world’s rarest frogs recognized with conservation award / December 5, 2011
Rainforest information in Thai / March 26, 2011
Rainforest information in Romanian / January 26, 2011
Mongabay’s most popular news articles of 2010 / December 28, 2010
Rainforest information for kids in Finnish / December 19, 2010
Sulawesi groups recognized for efforts to save endangered wildlife, forests / December 8, 2010
Rainforest information in Vietnamese / October 11, 2010
2009: The year in rainforests / December 27, 2009
Blogging wildlife rangers drive microconservation / December 1, 2009
Linking rural health care to forest conservation proving a success in Borneo / December 8, 2008
Open-access tropical conservation journal launches / March 3, 2008
Leading tropical forest site launches in Spanish / February 19, 2008
Amazon conservation Team wins “Innovation in conservation Award” for path-breaking work with Amazon tribes / December 11, 2007
Rainforest educational resource launched in 19 languages / June 5, 2007
Rainforest education site recognized with community award / March 29, 2007
Rainforest information site for school kids launched / July 7, 2005